Guys, I feel awful today. And not gonna lie, this soup started out as mashed potatoes because that’s all I ever want to eat when I’m ill. But then I added too much milk. So…soup. Which is also why I don’t have any pictures of the process.
As you might have guessed, it’s a potato based soup. I’m not feeling up to writing out a long and clever narrative about it, so here’s the recipe. Tweak as needed.
Potato and Scallion Soup
3 redskin potatoes
1/3 cup cold milk
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon chopped scallions/green onions
3 cloves garlic, chopped roughly
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt to taste
- Bring a pot of water to boil, and pop in the potatoes. Let them cook thoroughly. Once they’re done, take them out of the water and cube them, leaving the skins on.
- Warm the olive oil and lightly saute the garlic and half the scallions.
- Once those are toasted, turn off the heat and add the milk, and then the potatoes, so the potatoes don’t start to fry.
- Use an immersion blender, and basically liquefy everything, adding water until it’s the consistency you’d like.
- Add the rest of the scallions and blend them in.
- Add salt to taste. When I’m sick I tend to add more salt, because I can’t really taste much.
That’s basically it. It’s great for when my throat hurts too much to eat, I have no appetite, and just need to get something down so I can take my DayQuil and be done with it. Enjoy! I’m crawling back under my blankets and calling it a day.